Its that time of the year again where we get to pause, reflect and look back on 2021 with the hope of making 2022 even better!
In this article, The Skilled Business Analyst presents 5 key lessons learnt in 2021 and how these trends have shaped the BA profession in 2021.
Lesson # 1 – Self management continues to take center stage in remote times
Remote working is here to stay. Self management is critical for BAs to ensure they are delivering constantly. What does self management entail?
- Working on important tasks first
- Delivering on time and in full
- Managing stakeholder expectations
Lesson # 2 – Adaptability remains necessary
With so many changes happening externally, organisations are constantly being forced to adapt. This in turn impacts the work we do as Business Analysts. Unknowns and new situations present new opportunities to grow. Adaptability speaks to:
- Being open to new ideas and change
- Actively seeking out opportunities that add value to the organisation
- Having a growth mindset
Lesson # 3 – Visual thinking and visual representation remains key
As virtual has become the norm, visual thinking and representation remains key with our stakeholders. The past two years have shown that BAs need to be creative when communicating virtually with our stakeholders. What does this entail?
- Using models to summarise our requirements – pictures speak a thousand words
- Using collaborative tools that promote engagement with our stakeholders e.g. mentimeter, funretro etc.
Lesson # 4 – Story telling remains critical for effective communication
The ability to tell a story and capture the audience continues to take center stage. BAs need to communicate requirements, new ideas, new solutions to stakeholders. How can this be done effectively?
- Setting the context
- Using visual aids and data
- Using analogies
Lesson # 5 – Stakeholder engagement and partnership is key to success
This quote has stuck with me the entire 2021 – Stakeholder engagement is a never-ending process. We have to continually earn stakeholders’ confidence. It’s a relationship! (W. Vemeulen, Coca Cola Europe) How do BAs ensure they form solid partnerships with their stakeholders?
- Listening to stakeholders and empathising with their problems
- Maintaining consistency with deliverables and promised timelines
- Ensuring constant communication with them
The Skilled Business Analyst would like to wish you all happy holidays! With just over 2500 total views on our blog posts in 2021, we would like to thank you for your engagement. Keep reading and see you all in 2022!
Yours in Analysis